Tuesday 20 September 2011

The Beardmore Hotel

I don't get to the west quite as much as I once did, but today my travels took me all the way to in Clydebank.

The Beardmore is owned by the NHS, attached to the Golden Jubilee Hospital, and offers excellent conference facilities. Indeed, it's Scotland's current 'Conference Hotel of the Year.'

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the lunch, but was pleasantly surprised to be greeted by a very cheery woman who ushered in the prospect of a plate of hot food in the hotel's main, simply appointed, dining room.

From a curious array of hot buffet selections, I chose coley with half a baked potato and vegetables.


I had a pretty bad experience when I last ate coley, at Spoon. On that occasion, the fish was way too salty. This time, the two pieces of fish could used some more liberal seasoning and a few extra chives and a good twist of pepper to give the chive cream sauce a little more oomph wouldn't have gone amiss.

The fish was pretty good, though, and wasn't as horribly overcooked as fish can be sometimes when served this way. The potato and veg were decent enough, with the veg retaining a good crunch.

Overall, this was a pretty good conference lunch. A bit more attention to seasoning, particularly with the sauce, would have elevated this, but it was a very acceptable plate of food.

Scores

Out of 20, Blythe scores The Beardmore
3/5 for food
2/5 for presentation
3/5 for service
3/5 for setting
giving an overall 11/20

Today's Lunch Quester was: Blythe.

I ate: coley in a chive sauce, baked potato and vegetables.

I wore: a charcoal suit befitting an ashen-faced Tuesday.

Beardmore Hotel and Conference Centre
Beardmore Street
Clydebank
Glasgow
G81 4SA
www.thebeardmore.com

No comments:

Post a Comment